maven-dev mailing list archives

From Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
Subject RC release naming (was Re: [VOTE] Apache Maven 3.0.4 (take 2) )
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:32:06 GMT
Please change subject as it's not related to the vote thread.

2011/12/3 Brian Fox <brianf@infinity.nu>:
> The RCs were started for a very specific reason, to improve the
> quality of our releases. Just breezing through this thread, there are
> clearly issues with memory and some other stuff here that may be

Most of projects I have tested doesn't show that (and believe me I
have tested a lot sure not releasing on a ngnix server :-) ).

But If I correctly read those mails
(http://markmail.org/message/sfqixs2gd6hbwct5 or
http://markmail.org/message/bhczmcrcimkdp6f2), I don't see sometimes
related with this candidate for release build.

Quoted: "The dedicated build server is of arch amd64 and as it turned out, the
PermGen space consumption on that arch is even worse. Even with 256m PermGen
space the build stops with an "OOME: PermGen space" after 45 of 417
projects. However, M303 and M304 behave *exactly* the same (multiple runs
for each). Even for M221 the build stops now after 55 projects (but
different build order compared to M30x).

So the good news: No regression with M304. The bad news: Something consumes
PermGen space meanwhile really fast. It might be as well one of the plugins
that have been updated in the last 3 of 4 months :-/
"

Sorry maybe as I'm not a native english reader, I misunderstand something.

> bigger than we understand in this small testing surface. An RC build
> will get more eyes and either confirm these aren't a big deal, or they
> are.
>
> Reminder of where we were with 2.0.7, 2.0.8 and why we do RCs:
> http://www.sonatype.com/people/2008/04/quality-is-not-accidental/
>
> I'm -1 on a release without some RCs.
As your mail is in the release vote does this -1 apply on the release ?

Again I start a release process and produce a "candidate for release"
build with a naming 3.0.4 for 5 days vote.
Something failed, so it has been fixed and I restarted a vote with a
second "candidate for release" called 3.0.4 for 5 days vote.
(retagging etc.... )

What is the difference with producing something called RC1 (build
which will never published) and rebuild after some days the SAME thing
without the RC end naming ?

Sorry but except some marketing naming I don't see any difference in a
technical point of view (everything can be tracked in the scm).

*Again* as already said I don't have any issues using this rc mode, if
this vote fail, I will use it.

--
Olivier hacker not marketer :-)