maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Meta information about dependencies in a pom?
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:30:06 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
>> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>
>>> To clarify, technically easy to implement. If we did this with
>>> attributes we don't have to deal with POM changes, and if we say this is
>>> truly for producers then the attributes getting stripped out on deploy
>>> would be fine. The this serves the concerns of producers, and really has
>>> zero impact on consumers.
>>
>> Why are my dependency attributes available when I inherit them from my
>> parent POM in the parent directory, but not if the parent POM is
>> downloaded from the repository?
>
> Because they are intended to only be usable by the actual build producing
> the output. Beyond that there is no use for these attributes as we have
> scope their use here.
>
> That is not to say they cannot be made available. As they were implemented
> in Maven 1.x it was part of the POM so they were available. How I have
> described it, and as you have correctly interpreted it, allows us to do it
> without POM changes so that it can be done quickly.
>
>> Can my dependency attributes defined in the dependency
>> management section? Can I overwrite an inherited dependency attribute
>> with a new value?
>
> I don't think this is how it should work. It is strictly for build-only
> use.

If the support is added for definitions in the local POM only, I really bet
that the first question on the list will be "I want to declare this
attribute always with that dependency - how can I do it?" ;-)

However, I am in the same boat with David. We have a also a plugin that
would be a lot easier to configure with such attributes.

Cheers,
Jörg