maven-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Meta information about dependencies in a pom?
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 16:15:06 GMT
Yes, we were using that approach for years now and it turned out to be
too error prone as you have to keep the plugin configuration and the
dependency list in sync. It doesn't sound like a hard task first, but
in our case it caused trouble many times. That's why we would like to
have a single point of information.

Regards
Carsten

2011/11/7 Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>:
> The typical pattern used for this is an artefact filter applied to the configuration
of the plugin, rather than information on the dependencies (like what the dependency plugin
goals use). That was a feature of Maven 1 that we rejected upfront.

> In my experience, it's actually less verbose since you typically include or exclude just
a handful, or can use wildcards, rather than having to put a property of each dependency.

> - Brett
>
> On 07/11/2011, at 11:55 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Maybe a little bit more information :) We need this information just
>> for the build of the project containing this information. It's read by
>> a custom plugin. So even if the information would not end up in the
>> maven repository, we're fine.
>>
>> Carsten
>>
>> 2011/11/7 Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in Apache Sling we have the need to add additional information to a
>>> dependency in a pom, basically it's just an xml attribute, like:
>>>
>>> <dependency sling:startlevel="1">
>>>
>>> Now, with a little bit of hacking we could get this working in our
>>> plugin be parsing or converting the pom xml file ourselves (we don't
>>> need pom inheritance or transitive handling of this additional
>>> information)
>>>
>>> The question now is, what do you think about it? Is there something
>>> planned in that direction? If we would do it, do you think that we
>>> might get into trouble with future versions of maven?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Carsten
>>>

>>> --
>>> Carsten Ziegeler