maven-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fluido skin & Maven site
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:31:24 GMT
Hi Barrie!
thanks for sharing your opinions, much more than appreciated!
Please read my replies inline, you wrote a long email I could make confusion :)
All the best, have a nice day!
Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

> Having larger fonts is making my reading experience better.
>
> I think in general it is an improvement.
>
> Here are some nitpicks (I'm no web site designer) - feel free to
> nitpick them too.

I'm no web site designer too ;) that is why we started developing the
new skin on top of Twitter's Bootstrap (twitter.github.com/bootstrap/)
that allows developers playing the role of a designer :P
Jokes a part, color palette, the style, etc etc are all the default
one that comes from Bootstrap.
Users can anyway declare the skin in the site.xml and declare the
overrides/additional classes - as I did in the Maven site PoC - that
is something users are already used to.

> I'm not convinced about the drop down menus, I tend to visually ignore
> them, but that may just be me.

Ivan is not convinced too, I think/hope is a matter of taste, Olivier,
Christian and I like it, I proposed to keep it because is less work
users should do to have it.. :P

> On http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/maven/site/plugins/index.html
> some links do not have the blue hyperlink underlining but instead have
> a yellow halo.

That is because in the APT page, table elements are declared as

{{{/plugins/maven-clean-plugin/} <<<clean>>>}}

That will be rendered as Monospaced, and that's the default Bootstrap's style.
That could be easily modified by overriding the class as described before...

> Looking around some more at
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/maven/site/download.html the
> yellow halo appears to be the style of apt <<< Monospaced >>>> "and
> must be rendered using a monospaced, typewriter-like font."

yes I understand, the reason is the one before, we can change anyway
the font by overriding, that is something we already did

> The halo is drawing my attention to these fields but they aren't
> visually that important.  Generally used for configuration values and
> what you type etc.

default Bootstrap style...

> Grey text makes me think of disabled text, and this is the style
> applied to numbered lists.
> The Installation Instructions section of
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/maven/site/download.html is a
> good example of what I'm talking about.
> Visually it looks like I should ignore the text (since its grey) with
> large amounts of text I should pay attention too (because they are
> haloed).

again default Bootstrap style...

> One of my gripes with Confluence is its lack of indentation of
> heading/subheadings (I've yet to look into whether I can fix that).
> The old site http://maven.apache.org/what-is-maven.html does have
> indentation even if the sub headings dont look that great.
> Whereas the new version
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/maven/site/what-is-maven.html
> just has smaller heading styles.
> Googling about web design seems to indicate to keep headings to two
> levels so maybe this is just my problem again :)

that sounds something we can add (I'll add as soon as I get home), can
you point me to what you found on Google? Just a matter of filling the
gap of my lack of design, thanks in advance!!!

All the best,
Simo