maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven eclipse plugin
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:20:05 GMT
OK,

1. I do not use eclipse... my fingers have learned IntelliJ IDEA, and I am
not switching if I can help it, so these are just general recommendations.

2. Did you patch include tests. Ideally the tests should fail until the rest
of your patch is applied and pass thereafter.

3. Once your patch has tests, then try pinging the dev list with a subject
like "[MECLIPSE-___] I have submitted a patch WITH test cases... any
takers???" Give a good 2 weeks before replying on that mail as some of the
plugins can be a bit laggard in having their maintainers chime in.

4. If step 3 still gave you no joy, do a svn log of the plugin an see who
the >80-90% of commits was, or the last committer to make a release of the
plugin... DO NOT mail them directly, instead, reply to the mail in step 3,
asking them specifically if they feel like commenting. Do not add them as a
CC, they are on the mailing list already, you are just trying to _gently_
ping them into a response... You could also try pinging them on the
#maven-dev channel on IRC if you spot them. PING them in public. something
like "@mrdeveloper I've attached a patch with test cases to MECLIPSE-___
what are the chances of you reviewing and applying the patch and when might
there be a release cut?"

5. Wait... reviving the mail thread from #3 each about once a month. DO NOT
start a new mail thread, just reply to your old one.

Usually getting to step 3 will get your fix committed.