maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>
Subject Apache Maven distribution with fixes
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:48:25 GMT
Maven PMC,

Benjamin and I would like to make a distribution available that addresses several issues with
the Apache Maven 3.0.3 release. We have pushed back all bugfixes that do not involve Eclipse
Aether[a] and Eclipse Sisu[b] as their incorporation into the mainline and an official release
is your decision.

We haven't pushed any individual artifacts to Maven Central as part of creating the distribution,
we have only created the distribution itself. If there is anything you want changed let us
know and we'll change it, but we wanted to make these fixes available in a build for users
who are having problems. We're not trying to represent it as anything other then a distribution
that incorporates fixes users need.

The build is available here:

http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl

------------------------------------
Summary of the issues
------------------------------------

Fixes pushed back to the ASF:

[MNG-5064][1] mvn -nsu (--no-snapshot-updates) should not download snapshots (and break local
builds)
[MNG-5131][2] Wrong encoding for encrypted passwords
[MNG-5113][3] NullPointerException on javadoc site generation
[MNG-5137][4] Reactor resolution does not work for forked multi module builds
doesn't work in maven 3
[MNG-5135][6] Regression: in some cases aggregator mojo is unable to resolve dependencies
with custom packaging

Fixes not pushed back to the ASF as these are dependent on fixes in Eclipse Aether and Eclipse
Sisu:

[MNG-5042][7] Regression: CloningClassLoader causes StackOverflowError in groovy
[MNG-5056][8] Test dependencies get packaged into WAR file.
[MNG-5084][9] Resolver for plugins failing
[MNG-5087][10] Maven 3 dependency resolution fails until maven-metadata-local.xml files (created
by maven-invoker-plugin) are deleted
[MNG-5125] [11]Regression: mvn 3.0.3 is extreemly slow with a large number of dependencies
[MNG-5138][12] Dependency conflicts are extremely opaque

[1]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5064
[2]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5131
[3]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5113
[4]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5137
[5]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5096
[6]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5135

[7]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5042
[8]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5056
[9]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5084
[10]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5087
[11]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5125
[12]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5138

[a]: http://eclipse.org/proposals/technology.aether/
[b]: http://eclipse.org/proposals/technology.sisu/

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Eclipse Board Member
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

If I find ten thousand ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged,
because every wrong attempt discarded is just one more step forward.

-- Thomas Edison