maven-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] SCM child-project URL composition
Date Sat, 30 Jul 2011 17:07:42 GMT
I am aware the Maven never does schema checking but that it complains when processing the pom
when it sees things that aren't part of the model. So if IIUC you are just taking advantage
of a place that Maven isn't rigorous in its validation.  That would be fine.

Ralph

On Jul 30, 2011, at 4:29 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> I think that your understanding is oversimplified, with all due respect.
>
> Yes, there is an xml schema emitted by modello. However, no, no
> version of maven checks poms against a schema. So, it is possible to
> make changes to the pom that are compatible with Maven 2, by the
> expedient of testing that they are, in fact, compatible. In particular
> Maven 2 pays no attention to attributes on <url/> elements. So adding
> them can't break it.
>
> Now, anyone who adds the attributes has to use a new enough
> maven-release-plugin to get the benefit of them.
>

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> i think I'm missing something. My understanding has been that any file named pom.xml
that isn't compliant with 4.0.0 is going to break Maven 2 users. Am I misunderstanding something
about what is being proposed?

>> Ralph
>>
>> On Jul 29, 2011, at 8:04 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>>> I think Herve said so.

the XSD is an end result of the model that is generated, but you seem to describe it here
as an input. Am I misreading?

up is: can we generate an XSD like you describe using Modello?

to live with the format forever too. So, the danger that we're adding to our ball of tape
and chewing gum is limited by that.

API-wise with 4.0.0, and has identical behaviour (or graceful degradation) when read from
the repository by<= 3.0.3, then I don't see any problem with a particular change.