maven-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Re: SCM info and modules
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:28:18 GMT
The thing that's problematic here is that we're getting fairly deep down
the rabbit hole on these sub-languages...it'd be so much better if we
had a way to support a proper format for Git SCM information, rather
than embedding all that information in a really complex pseudo-URL.

On 7/14/11 4:19 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> SCM url have mutiple parts when multiple parts mean something.
> As you speak about git, [1] shows how tech and push urls can be different for
> example
> The algorithm to automatically derivate SCM url of a sub-module from parent
> SCM should be provider dependendant, available from maven-scm-api.
> And Maven Core would be dependendant on this API and detected provider to
> calculate
>
> I remember of such a discussion a little while ago on this list, but I don't
> remember the conclusion at that time
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/scm/git.html
>
> Le jeudi 14 juillet 2011, Andreas Sewe a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I'm not 100% sure it should be inherited at all. Inheriting unchanged is
>>> only valid for something like Git, but probably never for SVN. However,
>>> as you point out, Maven's current guess is usually not good enough
>>> either.
>>
>> the problem is really that Maven currently has only a single element for
>> something that requires two: one containing an absolute path to the
>> current project's SCM, and one containing the relative path used to move
>> from the aggregator's SCM to the child's.
>>
>> Just my $0.02.
>>
>> Andreas

John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)