maven-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Incorporate EPL Ether in Maven Releases
Date Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:14:39 GMT
I'm in the same boat. I can't in good conscience vote -1 because I am in no position to take
on the task of doing a rewrite.  OTOH, given the things people have said they would really
like to do I am pretty sure this issue is going to keep coming up. For the same reasons as
yours I'm going to have to vote -0.

Ralph

On Jul 29, 2011, at 10:16 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> -0
>
> I don't like it, but I'm not the one doing the work. I'd accept it if there's no better
way to get the problems fixed for whoever is working to fix them. I don't think it's good
to get stuck on an old version no one is maintaining. I'm happy to discuss ideas for alternatives.

> However, I would strongly prefer it to remain dual licensed:
> - it gives us more options if we need to incorporate source code changes that aren't
accepted upstream, particularly if goals change over time
> - consumers know what they are getting from Maven - it can all be used under the terms
of the AL 2.0.
> - it had the terms of the AL 2.0 when we agreed to incorporate it
>
> I continue to hope that will be reconsidered.
>
> FWIW, I don't have any argument with regard to the EPL as a license, I just believe AL
2.0 is appropriate here given its history, the early state of community development, and with
Maven as its primary consumer.