maven-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject [DISCUSS] SCM child-project URL composition
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:46:45 GMT
Hi!

problem description
-----------

SCM URLs currently automatically get extended for child modules.
E.g. from
svn://mycompany.com/myproject
in the parent pom, a child module 'frontend' will result in getting a SCM URL
svn://mycompany.com/myproject/frontend

This is fine for SVN and CVS, but broken for GIT, HG, etc because the SCM URL is 'static'
for them.

proposal
-----------

Since we cannot put this information into the various scm plugins (because of a 'definition
cycle' as explained here [1]) we could split the URL construction into scmUrlAppendChild=true/false
and make it configurable. The configuration could be controlled via a Modello config, my suggestion
would be to just add them to toolchains.mdo.
I'd just add a String property which holds a regular expression which parses the SCM URL and
decides upon this whether the appending should get activated, e.g. for all SCMs which contain
'scm:svn:' or 'scm:cvs:' or the java-svn (olamy, you know the plexus key for that?)

If there is a better place to put that config or a better way to get the info, then please
speak up now :)

I think this change would be backward compatible and doesn't need any pom changes. It also
could easily get back-ported to mvn2 if needed.
Are there other URLS which also need a similar distinction while building the model?

WDYT?

txs and LieGrue,
strub

[1] http://markmail.org/message/npw3hp6aloa55ctf