maven-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Get thee to the Core...
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 05:43:12 GMT
I'm not sure what you are after John.  Logback provides a formatter where you can do

logger.debug("Hello, {}", "John") and it will replace the curly braces with "John".  My Log4J
2.0 will do the same thing.  MessageFormat is fairly slow, but if you wanted to use that instead
my Log4J 2.0 implementation will allow you to create a new Class that implements the Message
interface and use that if you want.

Ralph

On Jun 10, 2011, at 8:28 AM, John Casey wrote:

> On 6/10/11 3:48 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>> We partly use slf4j internally already for tests, etc.
>> But moving the whole Logger mess over to slf4j would be really great. There are lots
of tests (I sadly also found productive code too) still using System.out.println.

>> The question is if we (internally) drop org.codehaus.plexus.logging.Logger completely
and use slf4j directly, or if we pimp up the plexus Logger and add various stuff.

> I've been thinking about this for some time now, actually. If you look at the MAE stuff
in the sandbox, I'm pretty sure that's using log4j directly.

> Personally, I don't understand what value the Plexus logger/loggermanager has, especially
given the configurability of these other logging frameworks.

> I'd be in favor of providing a "default" logging configuration file in either the Maven
app directory or in ~/.m2, and then letting people customize from the command line to highlight
specific components/packages.

> Although, having said that, one of my pet peeves about the logging frameworks is they
haven't shifted to using String.format, MessageFormat.format, or whatever under-the-covers
as a way of limiting string concatenation in cases where a particular log level has been disabled.

> Even something as simple as the attached code would be a nice facade for logging, IMO...but
it's more of a wish-list item than anything else.

> In short, yes, let's think about switching to a better logging framework. We can deprecate
the plexus logger, and eventually get rid of it!

>> We would need to do some compat code anyway, but I'm not sure if it pays off to restrict
ourself. At least not after I saw that even the LoggerManager uses System.err.println: