maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The JIRA chocolate box
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:30:50 GMT
FWIW, I've spent plenty of time on the 'trying to make a test case'
side of the fence and I appreciate how hard it can be.

If someone makes a cogent case that they can't come with a testcase,
then there are possible outcomes:

1: A dev finds the story sufficiently compelling to try to build a
test case or otherwise analyze the problem, soon enough that the
caravan does not move on.
1a: they come up with something and the OP can confirm that it fixes things.
1b: they are stumped or whatever they come with doesn't work.
2: no one in the dev community is willing to tackle.

In short, stating this policy doesn't stop us from trying to be
helpful in the impossible case, I just think that we should be
realistic in declaring failure to avoid recreating the compost heap.

As for github, I don't mind having the email stick to 'attach a zip'.
There are cases where github, or even, 'this svn URL of another Apache
project' allows collaboration with the OP in refining a test case, but
OPs will think of this for themselves.

I don't know that we need a JIRA day; we need everyone willing on dev@
to start digging down the JIRAs pinging.