maven-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REDUX] Java Service Wrappers (JSW) unfortunate license change
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:55:20 GMT
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:

<snip>

> None of this discussion is really relevant for this list... except maybe that pointing
to a URL for a license in the POM is not a good idea.

This is really what I wanted to raise here (just a bit difficult
without context)

> If someone wants to take up that issue, I would recommend changing it to a reference
within the repository, so that we can ensure some list of immutable licenses.

I think a limited list of standard licenses would be useful, allowing
automated verification of license policies (for example).

A key question is whether these license URLs are intended to act as
immutable names or as links to where a license might be agreed with a
vendor.

AIUI as a user of Maven ATM I have very little control over the
downloads. This means Maven may end up helping me break criminal law
by facilitating the downloading artifacts for which I have no license.
Perhaps a white list of allowed licenses in the configuration would
allow a user to choose the risks they were willing to take.

Robert