maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Get thee to the Core...
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 17:16:53 GMT
well if you are i18n-ing your logging messages you should always include a
code in the log message, that way you just google the code and presto
changeo you have your answer...

what I find is there is a logging level above which it makes sense to
i18n... usually somewhere around info/warn, but below which it well only be
engineers so leave at english...

what I'd like to see is some sort of logging escalation facility, so that
when some event occurs, previous/subsequent log messages are escalated to
give context... i.e. a thread local of the last 5 or so log records so that
when you log an event you get access to the context even though the logging
level was above the context's level

there is nothing worse than digging through 5gb of logs from multiple
threads trying to pull out the context for the one event you are after...

that is another thing that the i18n via logging codes gives you, ie trotting
context escalation for specifuc codes

- Stephen

---
screen