maven-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Re: Get thee to the Core...
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:28:56 GMT

On 6/10/11 3:48 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
> We partly use slf4j internally already for tests, etc.
> But moving the whole Logger mess over to slf4j would be really great. There are lots
of tests (I sadly also found productive code too) still using System.out.println.

> The question is if we (internally) drop org.codehaus.plexus.logging.Logger completely
and use slf4j directly, or if we pimp up the plexus Logger and add various stuff.

I've been thinking about this for some time now, actually. If you look
at the MAE stuff in the sandbox, I'm pretty sure that's using log4j
directly.

Personally, I don't understand what value the Plexus
logger/loggermanager has, especially given the configurability of these
other logging frameworks.

I'd be in favor of providing a "default" logging configuration file in
either the Maven app directory or in ~/.m2, and then letting people
customize from the command line to highlight specific components/packages.

Although, having said that, one of my pet peeves about the logging
frameworks is they haven't shifted to using String.format,
MessageFormat.format, or whatever under-the-covers as a way of limiting
string concatenation in cases where a particular log level has been
disabled.

Even something as simple as the attached code would be a nice facade for
logging, IMO...but it's more of a wish-list item than anything else.

In short, yes, let's think about switching to a better logging
framework. We can deprecate the plexus logger, and eventually get rid of it!

> We would need to do some compat code anyway, but I'm not sure if it pays off to restrict
ourself. At least not after I saw that even the LoggerManager uses System.err.println: