maven-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RFC] Migrating Maven JIRA from jira.codehaus.org to issues.apache.org
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 08:34:35 GMT
Hi

I've got an email similar to this that's been sitting in my draft box
for a couple of weeks. Here's what I originally wrote in it:

---

This has come up from time to time, and I think now is as good a time as
any to get the ball rolling on this. I've done a fair bit of JIRA
administration and a couple of migrations from other issue tracker, so
I'm willing to take on part of the workload if people are OK with that.

First I'd like to say that I have had no issues with having JIRA over at
Codehaus. Their service and uptime have been great. However, it has been
asked on numerous occasions:

  Isn't ASF infra good enough for the Maven project?

My answer to that has always been: of course they are. They also do an
excellent job. The reservations I've had have been more practical.

We have *a lot* of JIRA project over at Codehaus [1], so we need some
kind of road map for this.

[1]
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#10004
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#10060
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#10062
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#10061

---

I won't reiterate the pros and cons, but my feeling is that this is
something that the ASF wants us to do. If the ASF is willing to take the
cons (lots of new JIRA users) with the pros, then I say let's do it. The
longer we wait the more difficult it will be.

--
Dennis Lundberg