maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [REDUX] Java Service Wrappers (JSW) unfortunate license change
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 00:03:04 GMT
If you open up the wrapper-delta-pack that the appassembler depends on, doc/license.txt describes
the license it was released under. It is not GPL or LGPL as asserted in this thread.

None of this discussion is really relevant for this list... except maybe that pointing to
a URL for a license in the POM is not a good idea. If someone wants to take up that issue,
I would recommend changing it to a reference within the repository, so that we can ensure
some list of immutable licenses.

- Brett

On 13/06/2011, at 4:03 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> So, the lesson I take from this is that the appassembler would never
> have been releasable at Apache, and that releasing it at codehaus
> without getting the author (who happens to be in Japan) to provide an
> unambiguous license was perhaps ill-advised.
>

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
>>> just an idea: what about extending the maven-release-plugin to ask for a license
 if the pom doesn't contain a <license> section?

>> In principle, this would be a good feature to add to a verification
>> tool like Rat.
>>
>> In this case, JSW has a <license> section but that license contains
>> meta-licensing information (a way for a user to obtain a license,
>> rather than a direct license)
>>
>> Robert

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org