maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Inflexibility of --also-make w.r.t. unusual goals
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:26:26 GMT
On 04/05/2011 12:31 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
>> 2. mvn --also-make-goals -pl submodule test-compile test
>>
>> Does the issue make sense now, and is it worth filing a JIRA ticket for this?
>
> It makes sense.

Filed then: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5059

Not sure how it would be implemented, however. The current list of options is not just a superficial
piece of logic in org.apache.maven.cli but seems baked into how
MavenExecutionRequest is defined.

> I'm not sure how many people would use this - it's quite some entry complexity to gain
a little more runtime efficiency.

I was thinking of using a feature like this from an IDE or other scripted environment, in
which case a slightly more complex command is no obstacle.

> I've always thought the solution to these type of problems was to invest more effort
in incremental builds (don't run tests if no code + dependencies changed).

That would be useful too, but requires work on the part of plugins (here, Surefire).