maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Nicoll <stephane.nic...@gmail.com>
Subject Include maven-car-plugin to the official maven plugins
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:22:46 GMT
Hi,

I am currently working on supporting the "application-client" artifact
type properly in the EAR plugin. Pablo (in CC) wrote a
maven-car-plugin[1] which is very similar to the EJB plugin but for
application-client type. Do we think it would be reasonable to add
this plugin to the portfolio of standard plugins? (if Pablo accepts to
contribute it to the ASF but I don't think it would be an issue).

I am bit puzzled about the type 'car' since car is already used by
Geronimo for their deployment plans; <type>application-client</type>
would better fit I'd say (with a .jar extension)

The problems I am having is that since we don't have an "official"
maven type for that thing and nothing to build it with Maven, I can't
detect these artifacts other than scanning every single jar file added
to a project to see if there is a META-INF/application-client.xml
file. Frankly, I am not going to implement a feature that will scan
every single jar file before building an EAR

The plugin needs a bit of cleanup (namely the jEE version check) and I
don't know if the community uses this a lot but we don't cover the
whole spectrum of the JavaEE spec and it wouldn't cost us much to do
it.

Can someone remind me how these "official" types gets added and
detected by Maven? Do we absolutely need to touch the core type
definition files or is there another way?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
S.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/maven-car-plugin