maven-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MSITE-560
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:00:33 GMT
On 2011-03-02 01:34, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to have a unique maven-site-plugin version compatible with both Maven
> 2 and 3.
> I think I updated the code to be compatible.
> But I have a problem: there are classloading issues when run with Maven 2,
> since Maven 3 specific libraries are picked. I tried to add these libraries
> into a profile, without success.
>
> Can somebody have a look and help, please?

This idea has been on my mind for a while as well. Thanks for putting
some code in there so that we can test and discuss!

After fiddling with the MSITE-560 branch a bit I see two major concerns.
The changes I made on the branch was to change mavenVersion to 2.2.1 and
adding a few dependencies that are used in the trunk of Site Plugin.

1. maven-artifact[-manager]

These are not available in M3, but the real question is: can M3 use the
M2 versions of these to resolve artifacts?

2. maven-setting (encryption)

I got as far as getting these errors using the M2 version as a dependency:
package org.apache.maven.settings.crypto does not exist

Another idea that I had was to split out all the Maven-version specific
functionality into a compatibility layer, outside the Site plugin. Kind
of what you have started with the reporting-exec module. Here's how I
envision it:

maven-site-compatibility:2.0.0
- includes all M2 specific code and dependencies

maven-site-compatibility:3.0.0
- includes all M3 specific code and dependencies

maven-site-plugin
- includes all the rest
- depends on maven-site-compatibility:2.0.0

If you want to run the Site Plugin with M3 you would add a dependency on
maven-site-compatibility:3.0.0 to your Site Plugin declaration.

--
Dennis Lundberg