maven-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regarding MNG-3321 - Support for Skipping Plugin Execution
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:47:22 GMT
Our main topic of discussion on irc was initially if this *should* be a
3.0.X or 3.1 issue due to being somewhat of a borderline between
improvement/new feature. It seems to me like the way this discussion is
heading, it should probably be tagged 3.1.

I agree very much about getting some well defined use cases and
John's comments on the issue are also very good.

I will leave the issue at "3.1" for now, and request well defined
use-cases on the issue.

Kristian (I have all the skip options I need already)

ti., 01.02.2011 kl. 15.44 -0500, skrev Jason van Zyl:
> So the technical work was done implementing this but no where in the issue does it describe
why this feature is useful.

> This fundamentally changes the behaviour of the lifecycle and the example listed in the
issue is skipping tests. Some explanation of why this is good would be nice, there's nothing
about the reasoning of the feature in the issue. Possibly something like:

> - As a user I would like to skip the test phase locally, and only from the command line
so it's easier while I experiment putting new test features in place. But I would like to
guarantee that these can only be done from the command line and never in the presence of the
release plugin so that skipping phases is not done inadvertently during a release.

> The second case in a issue doesn't strike me as useful without an explanation, to run
to the install phase but not package the JAR?

> I think a fundamental alteration of behaviour requires an explanation of reasoning. I
believe that is reasonable. It initially strikes me as a potentially bad idea. Maybe you talked
about the reasoning in IRC, which I think is perfectly fine, just toss the discussion or salient
points of the reasoning into the issue.