maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parent-to-child inheritance of dynamic properties
Date Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:15:52 GMT
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Benjamin Bentmann
<benjamin.bentmann@udo.edu> wrote:
> Benson Margulies wrote:
>
>> Say that, in a parent pom, there is an execution of a plugin that sets
>> a property. (e.g. the build helper plugin's port reserver).
>>
>> Will those properties inherit down to the children?
>
> No, the runtime data of project instances is separated.

Let me explain what I had in mind, perhaps there's a better way to
accomplish it.

I was about to walk over a hierarchy of about 20 poms adding, to each,
a property like:

<globalRoot>../../..</globalRoot>

where the number of ..'s would be different depending on the hierarchy
location of the POM. So, I had this inspiration: make a plugin that
could be stuck at the very top that would set a property to the
absolute path of the top, and let it trickle down. Then individual
projects could reference some large, slow-to-copy items up there with
${globalRoot}/refrigerator.

Of course, my plugin doesn't work due to what you just told me. So, I
wonder -- is there some other way to do this?