maven-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generating release notes as part of release
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2010 20:58:15 GMT
On 2010-12-22 20:31, Ralph Goers wrote:
> My thought was to
> a) enhance the release plugin to invoked the changes plugin and then commit the release
notes before tagging and then remove then after
> b) enhance the changes plugin to have goals to commit and delete the release notes.
> or c) create a new plugin to do this.
>
> I'm already able to use the changes plugin to create the release notes and get them in
the binary distribution. That isn't particularly hard. The problem is with the source distribution
where what is in the zip really also needs to be in svn under the release tag.

How about doing an "scm add" operation of the generated release notes
directly to the tag? Do it after release:prepare, to be sure that the
tag exists, but before release:perform so that it can be included in the
released artifact.

> My preference would be option a but I haven't really started playing with the code yet.
I probably won't accomplish much this week as I'm visiting relatives.

> Ralph
>
> On Dec 22, 2010, at 1:30 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> changes.xml for changes plugin is included ?
>> Can we play with this to include a generated text release notes ?
>> Could me more easy (I remember stuff in m1 which updated the changes.xml).
>>

>> --
>> Olivier
>>
>> 2010/12/22 Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>:
>>> Apache Commons has a policy (which is in alignment with http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice)
to include release notes in the source distribution. I would like to generate the release
notes using the changes plugin during release:prepare and have them committed so that they
appear in the svn tag. Since they provide no value on trunk I would like to then delete them
as part of the post processing when the versions in the poms are changed to the next snapshot
release.

>>> Has anyone done this or can recommend a simple way to do it?
>>>
>>> Ralph
>>>

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> http://twitter.com/olamy