maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Auto apache version standard as an enforcer rule?
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 17:11:59 GMT
On 11/09/2010 11:30 AM, Rex Hoffman wrote:
> The only current problem is that it's not in the maven repo.

True. Probably not hard to fix, if that is the only obstacle; take it off list if interested.

> I don't suppose your teams usage of it is based off on an open source ant task?

Currently we are using it via http://hg.netbeans.org/apitest/ which seems to inline the original
project's code (not sure why offhand). Probably not relevant to use from
a Maven plugin.

> Though cutting a new interface is generally better programming, I don't
> want this tool to force developers to do that. I want this to be easily
> adopted by as many projects as possible.

Agreed, I just think the _default_ policy should be binary compatibility as defined by http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/binaryComp.html
- you should
need to declare alternate policies somehow. (It is also safer to flag a change as incompatible,
and have the developer indicate that it is OK in order to fix the build,
than to silently claim that changes were compatible when the developer was not even aware
of the possible breakage.)

No, @QualifiedPublic works differently. (Again, @QP is just an idle experiment at this point.)