maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Moving all reporting to a site project
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 22:18:49 GMT

On Nov 1, 2010, at 11:01 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> On 2010-11-01 22:48, Jason van Zyl wrote:

time to have one for the site generation. Take the maven-site-plugin and any related plugins
and move them into their own tree. What I'm trying to do here is cull the set of plugins we
have is to keep the ones that are part of the core lifecycles and super popular plugins that
get maintained like the dependency plugin and enforcer plugin.

>>> I'm not sure I understand what we would gain by doing this, if we cull
>>> all the dead/inactive plugins. Can you elaborate some more?
>>>

>> That we have a set of plugins that is actively maintained, released more on a regular
basis. Reduce the surface area of what we have to make great because we honestly don't do
a great job of releasing core plugins often enough. We should focus on the plugins in the
core lifecycles, and we should be doing this well. Anything else we should really let a community
have better access to and push it out to Mojo or Github. Plugins that are here people naturally,
for whatever reason, assume we actively maintain them and we don't. I would rather do fewer
things well.

> I agree with you that we need to be able to support the stuff that we
> house. If we can't maintain it we need to let it go.
>
> But what has that got to do with site generation and reporting plugins?

Additionally I think it would be stellar if we had core build lifecycle plugins, heavily used
but not lifecycle related, and the site stuff. Augment the release tooling so that we could
make consistent releases across a tree for plugins that have changed on a known 6 week cycle.
The release plugin would have to be changed but this would make it easier to prepare for a
release cycle, and push out all related plugins together. Then users will come to expect these
regular release cycles which I think have been a great benefit at Eclipse whose process I'm
copying. Projects are not allowed to survive very long missing release schedules in the real
world. Even though this is an open source project we can do the same. We simply reduce the
surface to the size we can honestly manage that process. It's more honest and better for users.

>>> --
>>> Dennis Lundberg

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> the course of true love never did run smooth ...
>>
>> -- Shakespeare
>>

> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)