maven-dev mailing list archives

From Arnaud Héritier <aherit...@gmail.com>
Subject Deprecate eclipse:eclipse plugin
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 14:04:14 GMT
For the eclipse plugin, I think that just moving it to retired isn't a good think because even
if we are agree that this one is now really difficult to maintain, this is always the preferred
integration way with eclipse in many corporate environments.
Thus we cannot just say to our community that we just stop to maintain it.
We have to propose something else.
m2eclipse or Q4E are the best choices for now but they don't cover all what eclipse:eclipse
can do and they have always some performances/stabilities issues with large projects.
Everybody can fork eclipse:eclipse plugin (and many teams already did it) but I think we should
provide a solution for them to try to share their changes.

How will we communicate around these changes ?

On Nov 1, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> I started moving any of the ones discussed here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/retired/
>
> If anyone disagrees we can move them back but I think the ones suggest so far are good
candidates.

> On Nov 1, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> Following up from a discussion on the user list. I think it's time to be realistic
about providing a healthy level of support for plugins here. I think it makes more sense to
reduce the foot print of plugins we say we support and do those well as opposed to housing
many plugin that just don't get much love. I would ask people to think about the plugins we're
housing that we shouldn't. Probably a thread per plugin would be fine for discussion.