maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create a retirement plan for plugins
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 23:10:11 GMT

On Nov 1, 2010, at 10:35 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Hi
>
> Given the discussions about retiring plugin I feel strongly that we need
> to have a plan for doing so. There are bound to be differing opinions
> about this, so see this as a starting point for discussions. When we get
> to the point that we agree on the general process, I'll turn this
> discussion into a document and put into our site.
>

> 1. Propose a vote on the dev-list to retire a plugin. The vote should be
> open for the standard 72 hours to allow people to voice their opinions.
> Perhaps also send this to the users-list?

What kind of vote. 3 +1s, no -1s. Majority of the PMC? Like a technical vote that can be vetoed
or a release vote that cannot. Please be more clear here.

> 2. Decide how to retire the plugin (don't know whether this should be a
> vote or not, or perhaps incorporated into 1.). There are multiple
> scenarios available. Two have been suggested in the other threads:
>
> 2.1 Move to retired area in svn

Just retire it and let people take the code as they like. Once it's retired it's open season.
Let folks who might want to work on it organize themselves as they like.

> 2.2 Move to mojo.codehaus.org
>
> please add more possible actions here
>

> 3. Make one final release of the plugin before it goes away. This allows
> us to make a clean break. The final release should have the site changed
> so that SCM URLs are changed or removed to reflect the decision made
> under 2.

You're not going to know. I would just say it's retired. When and if someone takes up the
torch we can point the site at that. In the interim saying it's retired I think is fine.

> If the plugin is moved elsewhere a prominent notice should be
> placed on the front page of the plugin's site.
>
> To respond to the inevitable "why bother" responses I hereby volunteer
> to do all those releases, if no one else steps up.

I don't think you have to be a martyr. How about the person who proposes the retirement do
the final release. If you want to do the cleanup work, you have to do all of it.

> 4. Announce the fact that the plugin has been retired/moved/whatever on
> the announce@m.a.o and users@m.a.o mailing lists. Explain to people what
> they should do if they would like to help with the continued development
> of the plugin at some other place.

Make sense.