maven-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hobson <markhob...@gmail.com>
Subject [m3] ProjectSorter problems (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0)
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:35:16 GMT
Branching the m3 vote thread:

On 5 October 2010 16:22, Mark Hobson <markhobson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough before.  It's not the ordering
> of elements at the same level that's a problem, it's that the element
> order is wrong.  I was also meaning deterministic with regard from
> m2.2.1 to m3.
>
> I'm relying on processing dependencies in dependency order, i.e. the
> order returned from ProjectSorter.  I have a project of 100+ internal
> dependencies that is coming back in the wrong order using m3's
> ProjectSorter, but it is correct under m2.2.1's version.  I have
> checked the dependency tree using m3's -X and a dependency of tree
> depth 2 is appearing *before* a dependency of tree depth 8 in the
> sorted list, which is meant to be in accumulating dependency order.

I've taken a quick look at ProjectSorter in the debugger and it looks
like it's skipping vertexes where versions don't match.  For example,
if A depends on B:1.0 but B is resolved to 1.1 (via resolution or
management) then A->B:1.0 is lost.  One suspect could be
isSpecificVersion which returns true for 1.0, which isn't a specific
version like [1.0], so this vertex gets lost as B:1.0 doesn't exist.

Mark