maven-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hobson <markhob...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 14:04:57 GMT
On 5 October 2010 14:31, Baptiste MATHUS <ml@batmat.net> wrote:
> +1.
> It'd confirm what I checked yesterday (see my other mail). I was having
> problem with XML parser due to a different classpath ordering inside
> surefire between m2.2.1 and m3.
>
> As Olivier said, it's true it's bad to rely on classpath ordering, but I'm
> wondering if something could be done so that classpath is always calculated
> the same way (or so is ordered the same) between m2/3. In fact, I fear this
> difference could cause some compatibility problems between m2&3 that will
> refrain some users from migrating.
>
> I guess this is something inside aether that was done on purpose, maybe to
> clean things that might have specially been done in m2.

It's not actually the classpath order that I'm relying on, it's the
order of dependencies on the classpath after they've been sorted by
ProjectSorter, which should be deterministic.

I've just had a look at the log between 2.2.1 and 3.0 for
ProjectSorter [1] and there appears to be quite a few changes.  I
thought its testcase was missing until I found it elsewhere [2] - we
may want to align its package.  Is anyone aware of any potentially
breaking changes that have been made to ProjectSorter?  It's
definitely returning slightly different results than 2.2.1.

Mark

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-3/trunk/maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/project/ProjectSorter.java
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-3/trunk/maven-core/src/test/java/org/apache/maven/execution/ProjectSorterTest.java