maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Dependency policies
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 20:48:08 GMT
Thinking out loud...

The rules would have to be shared amongst thousands of projects.  I guess I could put the
plugin in some shared parent POM.

The groupId/artifact naming convention for categories will be tough.  I have no control over
that.

What would be cool is if we could add additional information to the POM but in the plugin's
own namespace, say foo.

<project>

    <foo:category>api</foo:category>
</project>

and the plugin could pull that info in some how and perform its checks.  This would work for
me because I would not have to change the coordinates of the jars but I could add a bit of
information to the artifact's POM.

Regards,
Alan

On Oct 1, 2010, at 12:32 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> maybe you could enhance that rule to do regexp matching on each maven coordinate component
and implement your category concept using a naming convention?

> david jencks
>
> On Oct 1, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> It's close but not exactly what I need.  I don't want to maintain rules on artifacts.
 I want to maintain restrictions between categories of artifacts.

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>
>> On Oct 1, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Rex Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't used it: but this, and profiles, should do the trick.
>>> http://maven.apache.org/enforcer/enforcer-rules/bannedDependencies.html
>>>
>>> I'm just trying to get some contributions in to maven (other enforcer
>>> rules) but still feel the need to say you probably should have asked
>>> this on the user mailing list.
>>>
>>> Rex

categories of those jars?  At least maybe reports dependency violations?

on Api but not others' impl.  Api can rely on Api.  When I perform a build it would be nice
if the build failed or at least an warning is reported.