maven-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Re: Updating the release plan for Assembly Plugin
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2010 16:44:22 GMT
Sorry I missed this thread before...

On 9/15/10 1:28 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I saw that John added http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-502 with
> a wish for Java 1.5. This is fine, but I think we need to discuss the
> contents of the coming versions.
>
> Over the last year or so I've tried to get rid of as many alpha and beta
> plugins as possible. We are now down to only 4 remaining, and the
> Assembly plugin is one of them. In my opinion alpha and beta versions of
> plugins only adds to the version confusion for our users.
>
> Now to the Assembly plugin. Here's what we have in JIRA:
>
> 2.2-beta-6: 4 out of 23 issues fixed
> 2.2:        0 out of 14 issues fixed
> 2.3-beta-1: 0 out of 14 issues fixed
>
> I propose that we shuffle these around:
>
> - Skip 2.2-beta-6, the next version will be 2.2
> - 2.2 will contain the 4 issues already solved for 2.2-beta-6, and
> anything else (small) that we can cram in there without disturbing too
> much. Remember that it won't be beta any more :-)
> - The version after that will be 2.3 (not a beta), which will require
> Java 1.5

IMO, we've got a base version of Maven 2.x that's been out for what? two
years? ...and it requires 1.5. Using generics makes the code _much_
cleaner, as do things like varargs, so I think it's worthwhile to make
this switch for the 2.2 release instead of waiting.

What's the big advantage to holding this back?

> - If necessary 2.2.x releases can be branched off, while trunk continues
> towards 2.3
>

> Comments?

At any rate, my first attempt to release the 2.2 version of this plugin
has failed with a problem unit test on windows. If we need to discuss
this further, we have an opportunity.

--
John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)