maven-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release plugin snapshot dependency resolution
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 22:05:25 GMT
On 2010-09-29 15:50, Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The release plugin has a mode where it can assist you in updating snapshot dependencies
at release time. A lot of this is better manipulated with the versions plugin now, but it
seems a useful feature to have at release time if you can.

:
> What is the next development version? (2.1.3-SNAPSHOT) 2.1.3-SNAPSHOT: :
>
> The first question was redundant - you'd already said you wanted to update snapshots
and the other option is failure. The second one assumes you'll be setting the snapshot to
the equivalent release, then automatically to the next dev't version. The inflexibility of
the first part was pointed out in MRELEASE-583 and I applied a change similar to the patch
provided.

> However, I disagree with the default choice of updating the dependency to another snapshot
- since this is outside of the reactor it's a better practice to pin to the release you just
chose. I retained one exception for the use case where it was a more recent snapshot than
the release you selected, and the original choice is restored.

> As it's only interactive and the form of the questions change, I don't think this will
catch anyone by surprise, and encourages better practices.

> Does anyone see a downside?

No. Keep the pinned down (release) version of the dependency. Anything
else is out of scope for the Release Plugin in my opinion.

> - Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org