maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What does plugin doc mean when it says "Maven 2"?
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 01:39:38 GMT
A patch in JIRA would be great.

Most of this is a leftover - when the plugins started, they were to be contrasted with "Maven
1", which had typically been labelled "Maven X plugin". They never got updated.

As far as I'm concerned, we should drop the "2" wherever we can. "Maven" refers to supported
versions of Maven - those being 2.0.11, 2.2.1, and 3.0 :)

Cheers,
Brett

On 14/10/2010, at 11:48 AM, Ed Staub wrote:

> The http://maven.apache.org/plugins documentation for several/many/most of
> the plugins refer to themselves as being Maven 2 plugins.
>
> If it will help, I'll file issues on this under Jira, but I'm not sure
> where.  Does this generally mean:
>
> - the website is out of date?
>
> - the plugin documentation just needs to updated to say Maven 3?  If so,
> should it say "Maven 2/3" to cue Maven2 users that it's correct for them,
> too?
>
> - the plugin documentation is just plain out of date - more needs to be
> fixed?
>
> - the plugin isn't known to work under Maven 3?
>
> Because I've been paying attention, I'm pretty sure "plugin isn't known to
> work" is not true for any mainstream plugins.  But a newbie isn't going to
> know that.  Their assumption will be that Maven 3 is a lot less baked than
> it is.

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://brettporter.wordpress.com/