maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: Setting goals for upcoming releases
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2010 00:44:55 GMT
I think trying to release 3.0 sooner, and then sticking to 6 week release cycles would be a
better use of time. We're going to fix anything that arises but I don't believe there will
be widespread testing until 3.0 is released, and I don't believe many will pick up 3.x in
large-scale production environments until 3.1. I think the faster we get 3.0 out the better.

Shoot for October 1st, and then have the 3.0.1 release with fixes for the first wave of issues
raised in mid-November.

On Sep 2, 2010, at 7:34 PM, Brian Fox wrote:

> Now that Maven 3 beta 3 is out with Guice and Aether, we can pretty
> safely call it feature complete. I'd like to propose a few goals to
> get some things done. We have ApacheCon coming up the first week of
> November, and it would be great to set that as a target to get Maven
> 3.0 out the door.
>
> So far the feedback on the betas has been good but fairly limited. I
> think that without a clear plan, and our history with this mammoth
> release, people are probably reluctant to spend a lot of time testing
> each beta. In the past we've been successful pushing out release
> candidate builds and involving the user list. If we start that
> soonish, there should be plenty of time to uncover and fix
> regressions, especially if everyone pitches in. There's even time to
> cut another beta before we launch into the RCs if it's needed.
>
> So first of all, Benjamin, Herve, Kristian you've collectively done
> the majority of the work in M3 recently. Do you think the above is
> achievable and desirable? What does everyone else think?
>
> Secondly, For me personally, I'm going to commit to get the Maven
> Index code committed and to push updated releases of the dependency
> and enforcer plugins before ApacheCon. Anyone else want to ante up for
> some chunk of work and get things rolling?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance