maven-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:18:15 GMT
On 2010-08-09 00:59, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2010, at 5:47 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

them when generating the site : all reports are generated.

now configuring inside a plugin, the merge is no more possible of reports.

use a specific goal site:attach-descriptor.

>>> Maven 3 core.
>>
>> I read the wiki page you linked to above, but I don't understand why it
>> was necessary to remove a life-cycle execution. Can someone explain the
>> reasoning behind that?
>>

> The site plugin is not special. Any number of specific domains like reporting, or release
management may want to have their own lifecycle. You should easily be able to contribute one
to the core at runtime. If that can be done easily now then we'll fix that. But reporting
of any sort in the core is polluting the core. Something goes wrong with the reporting lifecycle
and users have to wait until the core is release. That's a bad coupling. You should be able
to do anything you want with/from from your own domain. The site plugin in this case.

Sorry, I misread the wiki page. I thought it was a lifecycle phase that
was removed, when in fact it is a plugin execution bound to the
lifecycle that was removed.

Now it makes sense, although we will still need to be *very* clear about
this removal in the site for the Site Plugin.

>> Decouple Doxia and reporting I understand, but won't "arbitrary
>> reporting systems" all go through the Site plugin?
>>

> No. Who knows what someone else may create.

Okey

--
Dennis Lundberg