maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: A legal-ish question
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:35:04 GMT

On Jun 10, 2010, at 11:27 PM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> I have a memoizer
> (http://www.javaconcurrencyinpractice.com/listings/Memoizer.java) that
> I'd like to include "somewhere" in our code base. It's like 30 lines of
> code or so.
>
> Ï've seen this snippet of code (or extremely minor permutations of it)
> appear a number of places, under various lisence headers, for instance:
>
> http://www.koders.com/java/fid960BDFDD3A35D42E6652E79BA3F959A375024F0B.aspx?s=mdef%3Acompute
>

> What's the appropriate thing to do IP-wise wrt including such a piece of
> code ? The specific implementation I've linked to appears on page 108 of
> the "Java Concurrency in practice" book.

It's fine, bringing anything up on the legal lists here is a waste of time. I will check the
code with the folks at Eclipse and let you know if there is any problem. Apache has no IP
checking system at all so it's honestly generally useless asking anyone here. Eclipse has
a real IP clearance mechanism with real lawyers, with a real set of tools for validation using
humans, Black Duck and Palimida. If you've found a public domain license then you're fine,
but I'll ask the Eclipse IP team.