maven-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com>
Subject Parallel vs weave
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:24:13 GMT
I am picking up some positive tweets here and there, but I'd be really
happy if those of you who test parallel building could report back with
some numbers in response to this message. I am particularly interested
in the difference between parallel and weave (and linear too), mostly to
assess that weave is worth the effort.

So after tweaking around with threads a bit to find out what runs
fastest I'd really enjoy reports like this one (real data):

Linear: 50 seconds
Parallel: 40 seconds
Weave: 29 seconds
For a 10 module project using -T 1C on a 6 core box.

For those wondering:
* Both parallel and weave favorize projects with lots of modules
  and "wide" dependency graphs.
* Weave is /probably/ quite a lot faster than parallel for projects
  with lots of tests fairly evenly distributed among the modules.
* Putting all your tests in one module is a bad idea in this context.
* Some mojos (like war/ear) can "dwarf" all the others,
  effectively limiting the overall potential somewhat.

Kristian