maven-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A legal-ish question
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:16:38 GMT
fr., 11.06.2010 kl. 06.35 -0700, skrev Jason van Zyl:
> On Jun 10, 2010, at 11:27 PM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
>
> > I have a memoizer
> > (http://www.javaconcurrencyinpractice.com/listings/Memoizer.java) that
> > I'd like to include "somewhere" in our code base. It's like 30 lines of
> > code or so.
> >
> > Ï've seen this snippet of code (or extremely minor permutations of it)
> > appear a number of places, under various lisence headers, for instance:
> >
> > http://www.koders.com/java/fid960BDFDD3A35D42E6652E79BA3F959A375024F0B.aspx?s=mdef%3Acompute
> >

> > What's the appropriate thing to do IP-wise wrt including such a piece of
> > code ? The specific implementation I've linked to appears on page 108 of
> > the "Java Concurrency in practice" book.
> >

> It's fine, bringing anything up on the legal lists here is a waste of time.
>  will check the code with the folks at Eclipse and let you know if there is any problem.

> Apache has no IP checking system at all so it's honestly generally useless asking anyone
here.
> Eclipse has a real IP clearance mechanism with real lawyers, with a real set of tools
for
> validation using humans, Black Duck and Palimida. If you've found a public domain license

> then you're fine, but I'll ask the Eclipse IP team.

Sebb identified the piece of code as "public domain" via the official
website of the book; I was looking in the hardcopy and couldn't find it
in the printed book. So much for dead trees.

Now the link Brett sent doesn't explicitly name "Public domain" as a
"license" with compatibility constraints, but it seems implied in the
section on Doug Lea's concurrent library:
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#concurrent

Kristian