maven-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew McCullough <ambientid...@gmail.com>
Subject Idea for discussion: Artifact download result caching based on HTTP response code
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:03:08 GMT
Is there the possibility that based on the HTTP response code for
artifact retrieval, we could invoke different behaviors on the next
request for failed-to-download artifacts?

1) If we get an HTTP timeout for a request, it is cached as a "fail"
today, and thus not tried again until a -U is explicitly passed in.

2) If we get a response of a 404 for an artifact, we also cache it as
a "fail" and do not try it again until we get a -U.

It seems like in the second case, that's the right thing to do.  It
seems like in the first case, we'd want to try it again next time we
have connectivity.  In short, a does-not-exist-404 is vastly different
from a network timeout.

The scenario that maps to this from one of my students is described as follows:

QUOTED:
I decide I need a new jar for my project. I quickly add the jar to my
local repo and add it to my pom, and begin coding to make sure it's
doing what I want it to do. Then I go and contact my release engineer
to get the jar into our private repo. Well, now I go off and do more
work on my class, and finally I'm happy, my tests work, and I submit.
Oops! My release engineer hadn't gotten a chance yet to add my jar to
the private repo, so now our build fails. So what now? My build still
fails because of this caching. So what do we have to do? We have to
change our build script to have the -U option to fix the problem. And
this is just on one box, oh the pain when I have to track down which
of my Hudson slaves this ran on and make sure that slave is the one
that takes the next build. In the end this means I'll just have to
stick the -U option on all of my builds, because it's less hassle when
the scenario happens.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this...

-Matthew McCullough