maven-dev mailing list archives

From Tobias Gierke <tobias.gie...@code-sourcery.de>
Subject Re: resolve dependencies with mercury
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 14:56:09 GMT

>> Just out of curiosity  - what exactly happened to Mercury ? To me it seemed like
a very good way of tackling the dependency resolution problem.

> It is a good idea. This particular attempt just didn't work in time for 3.0. But between
Pascal, Benjamin and myself we'll make another attempt. It's not that Mercury did not work
in its own right. Oleg did some cool stuff, but it needs to exactly mimic 2.0 behavior.

>>> We have started taking a different approach with Maven 3.x but it's unlikely
we'll have time to integrate it into 3.0.

>> Is there any information on the net about how this 'different approach' will look
like  ? Googling 'Maven 3 dependency resolution' turns up only pages that talk about Mercury.

> No, just been busy with making 3.0 solid from the CLI perspective and Tycho, Maven, and
Nexus. Post 3.0 we'll return to the resolution API and committing to publicly supporting it.
It will still be called Mercury but the implementation might change slightly. We may also
decide that it's too much work to try and get SAT4J to work for the old resolution mechanism
and just keep two sets of components in the system: one for the old and one for the new.

> Pascal and I are currently talking with Daniel Le Berre about doing a research project
through National Center for Scientific Research in France related to SAT4J in Maven. The goal
being that we would like to merge Maven and P2 resolution mechanisms. The start of this on
the Maven side is a branch that Benjamin has been working on, and from the P2 side Pascal
is looking at making any necessary changes. So it's not trivial work and we want one sound
solution that will work for a long time into the future so we're in no dire rush to push something
in.

Thanks for the update,  looking forward to the Maven 3 release ;-)

Regards,

Tobias

>> Regards,
>>
>> Tobias
>>
>>> Pascal, the P2 lead, now works for Sonatype so we're trying to set some time
aside for him to think about and try merging the models of Maven and P2 together but this
is not trivial and this may also never work.

>>> We've reverted to creating a composite component in Maven 3.0 called the RepositorySystem.
This component is working, but has not been separated out into a separate library because
our focus for 3.0 was complete backward compatibility at the CLI level for users. I don't
know when it will be separated, I don't know when/if it will be released separately and there
is no documentation. So if you want to use it you'll have to surf through the tests.

>>> We will take the Mercury builds off the grid

SE application.

except resolving transitive dependencies.

which not depends on PomClassicDomainModel but I can't find the source of maven-mercury project.