maven-dev mailing list archives

From Tobias Gierke <tobias.gie...@code-sourcery.de>
Subject Re: resolve dependencies with mercury
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:43:15 GMT
Hi,
> Mercury it's current form is not released, maybe not ever be integrated with Maven 3.x
 as it is today and may not be released. It's an experiment we had hoped to be successful
but hasn't made it into Maven 3.x.

Just out of curiosity  - what exactly happened to Mercury ? To me it
seemed like a very good way of tackling the dependency resolution problem.
> We have started taking a different approach with Maven 3.x but it's unlikely we'll have
time to integrate it into 3.0.

Is there any information on the net about how this 'different approach'
will look like  ? Googling 'Maven 3 dependency resolution' turns up only
pages that talk about Mercury.

Regards,

Tobias
> Pascal, the P2 lead, now works for Sonatype so we're trying to set some time aside for
him to think about and try merging the models of Maven and P2 together but this is not trivial
and this may also never work.

> We've reverted to creating a composite component in Maven 3.0 called the RepositorySystem.
This component is working, but has not been separated out into a separate library because
our focus for 3.0 was complete backward compatibility at the CLI level for users. I don't
know when it will be separated, I don't know when/if it will be released separately and there
is no documentation. So if you want to use it you'll have to surf through the tests.

> We will take the Mercury builds off the grid
> On Feb 26, 2010, at 8:27 AM, Mr Márton Elek wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to use Mercury to resolve (transitive) dependencies from a Java SE application.
>>
>> I checked out the latest Maven 3 and Mercury source code and it works well except
resolving transitive dependencies.

>> When I try to use org.apache.maven.mercury.MavenDependencyProcessor I get an exception:
>>
>> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/maven/model/PomClassicDomainModel
>>
>> I get the same exception when I run mvn test on the mercury-it project
>>
>> It seems that the Mercury project on the sonatype hudons is live:
>> https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/job/mercury-1.6/
>> But it doesn't seem a real maven job.
>>
>> Probably somewhere exists a newer org.apache.maven:maven-mercury artifact which not
depends on PomClassicDomainModel but I can't find the source of maven-mercury project.