maven-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Putting the archetype plugin version in the super POM
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 03:01:09 GMT
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> I think this has come up before and we wanted to avoid doing it for things on the command
line, where it is hard to override. In general that would be true, but for the archetype plugin
being the first experience people have with Maven, a bit more reliability would probably be
useful.

> I thought we could apply the patch below in 2.2.2. This would by default lock it down,
but allow the comparatively simple cmd line to get a different version:

> $ mvn archetype:generate -Dmaven.archetype.version=2.0-alpha-6-SNAPSHOT

Can't you already specify the version with the long form

mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:VERSION:generate

(which doesn't look like that much more typing, and sticks to an
established convention) ?

--
Wendy