maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Putting the archetype plugin version in the super POM
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:26:38 GMT

On 01/02/2010, at 10:57 PM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> I'm not that tied to the idea, it was just a thought to avoid the potential problem
that had been raised by a user.

> Please consider that such a version lockdown is twofold: It not only saves the user from
potential regressions in newer versions but also excludes him from any bugfixes/improvements
made in the newer plugin versions, unless you are willing to put the update instructions on
each and every doc page out there that mentions the Archetype Plugin.

Yup, I understand it's a tradeoff, and that's why I wanted to be clear it was an exception
for Archetype, not other CLI plugins - but I do see your point.

> The proper fix for this would be to increase the test coverage for the plugin.

Couldn't agree more :)

> The other related issue is RELEASE vs LATEST. When resolving a plugin version, Maven
2.x prefers LATEST over RELEASE, i.e. Maven 2.x potentially prefers a SNAPSHOT over a proper
release.

Yep, when I was proposing this I was under the impression that both snapshots and releases
would be regularly obtained. With Maven 3 preferring RELEASE, and with MNG-4554 fixed (thanks!),
I see very little need for the exception, so I'll close the issue out.

> IIRC, it was an IRC discussion with Arnaud where we seemed to agree that this behavior
is not really helpful to the majority of ordinary users. So this might be something to review
for Maven 2.x as well.

I'm not sure what you talked about, but if Arnaud wants to implement it for 2.x that's fine
by me. I just don't think it's a 2.2.2 thing, and at this stage we haven't made any plans
for a 2.3. I'm still in favour of a 2.3 that provides a "stepping stone" to 3.0 with changes
like this, but I'd personally rather focus on 3.0 once we get past the planned releases.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org