maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Putting the archetype plugin version in the super POM
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 03:23:17 GMT

On 01/02/2010, at 2:01 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think this has come up before and we wanted to avoid doing it for things on the
command line, where it is hard to override. In general that would be true, but for the archetype
plugin being the first experience people have with Maven, a bit more reliability would probably
be useful.

>> I thought we could apply the patch below in 2.2.2. This would by default lock it
down, but allow the comparatively simple cmd line to get a different version:

>> $ mvn archetype:generate -Dmaven.archetype.version=2.0-alpha-6-SNAPSHOT
>
> Can't you already specify the version with the long form
>
> mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:VERSION:generate
>
> (which doesn't look like that much more typing, and sticks to an
> established convention) ?

That wouldn't allow setting it in settings.xml, so you'd have to type the longer version every
time.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter