maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: custom maven plugin default phase
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:25:40 GMT

Sent from my [rhymes with tryPod] ;-)

On 20 Feb 2010, at 15:56, tbee <tbee@tbee.org> wrote:

> jvanzyl wrote:
>>
>> Most people we deal don't actually find that, it's usually not
>> understand
>> the tool and the impatient find it easier to roll their own solution.
>>

> During my research I found many developers of well know open source
> projects
> tried and failed migrating to Maven.

I have migrated a large number of builds to maven. some quite complex,
some quite simple... in every case migrating the build usually takes
me about a day or two max... where the problems occur are with project
builds which have stuctural problems that other build tools make easy
to retain

an example is where you have circular dependencies among jar files...
this is typically seen with ANT builds where you can just compile
_everything_ in one go, and then create the jars with selective
contents...

another example is where there is poor dependency management,
encouraged by the "just bung all the deps into the lib folder"...

but these kind of build problems are generic build problems, get rid
of then and migrating between build tools becomes easy... nit just
migrating to maven