maven-dev mailing list archives

From tbee <t...@tbee.org>
Subject Re: custom maven plugin default phase
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:56:34 GMT

jvanzyl wrote:

> Most people we deal don't actually find that, it's usually not understand
> the tool and the impatient find it easier to roll their own solution.

During my research I found many developers of well know open source projects
tried and failed migrating to Maven. After all that is why Ivy came to be,
and Gradle and all the other Maven derivates. If there is smoke, then there
is a fire. It can't be that all these developers are too impatient. Hell,
I'm on this migration thing for about 3 months now. Maven simply is fairly
complex; I'm busy migrating our medium sized projects and after three months
I'm still fine tuning. And my first attempt at a custom plugin immediately
runs into difficulties immediatly.

One observation; in ANT I tell my build system how to go from A to Z. If I
look at my pom file, I do not see the "A to Z" , but I see almost every step
configured. I see A, libraries, because I want a copy for the EDI. I see B,
compiling, because I have to specify the source version, etc. So even though
the build script does not contain the exact sequence, it in core pom.xml
contains the same information as build.xml.

The Maven concept is good, don't misunderstand me, but at the moment it is
too much EJB2 and not enough EJB3, as a metaphore. If you guys are able to
do two things for Maven 3:
- make it easy to extend or override behavior, add easy plugins including
default behavior (looping back to the origin of this thread)
- make the configuration more compact

Then things should be quite different.

jvanzyl wrote:

> So you can either help fix the lacking implementation, or roll something
> no one else in the world is going to understand.

You make a compelling point. But considering the knowledge gap between you,
the developers of Maven, and me, that is too idealistic. I simply do not
pretend to have the knowledge to make enterprise level design decisions on
this. My projects are medium in size. But if you guys can make a good rack,
then I most certainly can put the jackets on.

Can I try the Maven 3 features already?