maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: MNG-3004/MNG-2802 - Achieving massive parallelity ?
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:14:16 GMT

On 2009-12-09, at 9:15 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> There's a lot of fun to be had with modern DI ;) I assume you're
> planning to keep the plexus interfaces and just change implementation ?

Yes, we have to support all the old plugins with all the old metadata. We drop in Guice+Plexus
shim and the user doesn't notice anything. It can't work any other way.

> Do you have any documentation/references on how you're intending to do
> this ? Will the plugins be wired up with guice too ?

Nothing will appear the same to users or plugin developers.

> On the grand scale of things, this is just a private implementation
> detail. I wrote a System.out/System.err based threading interceptor in
> SUREFIRE-555 and I'll see if I can get that working. I've been spending
> too much time on this "patch" now, and there's just this one thing left
> before I ask the community to accept it. As long as I don't have to
> solve it with plexus I'm happy.

That works for now and we'll push out a copy of the Guice-based Maven as time permits.

> Kristian
>
> on., 09.12.2009 kl. 08.50 -0800, skrev Jason van Zyl:
>> On 2009-12-09, at 8:38 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
>>
>>> My personal short-list on MNG-3004 now only contains 1 thing, getting
>>> order on log output. I need some help on this one;
>>>
>>> It seems like there's two sensible ways to handle this
>>>
>>> A) Intercept plexus "Logger" and sort according to calling thread.
>>> B) Intercept System.out/err and sort according to calling thread.
>>>
>>> I know B is going to work, but I really think A is a nicer option. But
>>> plexus scares me (it reminds me of a teenager, capable of throwing fits
>>> for no understandable reason and providing no explanation).
>>>
>>> Assuming I am able to proxy the plexus logger, it should be able to
>>> capture output of all plugins too, right ? Anyone have any
>>> examples/explanation of how to proxy the logger ?
>>>
>>> Anyone have any thoughts/preferences on this ?
>>>

>> You might want to wait a bit then as we have Nexus OSS completely running on Guice
with a Plexus shim, almost have Nexus Pro running on the same system and probably about a
week of work getting the same to work for Maven itself.

>> So if you can figure out a strategy to do this with Guice then that's what I plan
to run Maven 3.x on. I will put this in a GIT repository to share when it's finished and then
the community can decide if they want to have it be absorbed into Maven at Apache. I'm killing
off Plexus as fast as possible and replacing it with Guice and we're close but Sonatype is
focusing on Nexus first and then we'll try it with Maven and then we'll ask people here if
they would like those changes here as I'm not presuming anything.

Thanks,

Jason