maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven 2.2.2 soon?
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2009 00:38:08 GMT

On 30/12/2009, at 5:24 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2009, at 8:28 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
>

>> I agree. The problem will be in 3.1. We'll be able to remove things
>> deprecated in 3.0 but nothing more.
>> We'll have to see what we'll do if we have big changes.
>> For me the most important problem to work on (post 3.0), will be how we
>> manage different versions of POMs and metadata. This will have an important
>> impact for our users.
>>

> What I recall discussing with Brian at ApacheCon was having a new project descriptor
but making sure that when projects are installed or deployed a pom compatible with the current
format would also be deployed along with the new descriptor. If the new project descriptor
allows extension then this could continue to work as things change.

Yah, I think we've been beating this around for a while... in my mind, it's still a unified
repository metadata format that the POM translates to (and a parallel 4.0.0 POM / maven-metadata
for old clients).

It seems like that and the POM and the deprecations can be the single focus for 3.1... we
just need to ship "Snow Maven" at this point so we can move on to new things.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org