maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Site Update for Maven 3.0-alpha-3
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:28:24 GMT

On 13/11/2009, at 10:59 AM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that we didn't mention previous alphas of 3.0 on the Maven site. How do we
want to go about that with alpha-3?

> To attract more testers, I think we should have this alpha listed in the download section.
E.g. some structure like

> * Stable Releases
>  2.2.1
>  2.1.0
>  2.0.10
> * Alpha/Beta Releases
>  3.0-alpha-3
> * Previous Releases
>
> WDYT?

+1, though I think we can remove 2.1.0 from the list as it is superceded by 2.2.1.

When I started trying to automate more of the release process for 2.0.11, I already did this
(moved to a branch now):

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/site/trunk/pom.xml?r1=792808&r2=792807&pathrev=792808

There was general support, but I also split the release notes which raised some concerns.
And then I ran out of spare time with my holiday, etc. :)

I believe consensus was:
- use JIRA as the authoritative source for release notes
- support the split structure provided above for posting online (later moving to pull information
from JIRA)
- also produce an aggregated release notes (I believe for a series, not all releases), which
can be done automatically

So, options:
- merge down just the bits that split into stable / preview versions
- fix the aggregated release notes and merge the lot

Thoughts?

I'll update the branch for current versions.

- Brett