maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [maven-scm] RFC fetch/push URL format
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 20:16:55 GMT

On 05/10/2009, at 7:41 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> Brett,
> I think <developerConnection> and <connection> are not appropriate
> because they are used for different use cases and not for different
> technical aspects. In fact for some commands we need both the fetch
> and push URLs for the same maven-scm command.

Right - but I'm still not sure how you anticipate passing in those URL
formats - I seem to have missed this from the original proposal. If
you are doing a release, which only uses the devCon as you said, where
do you specify both the fetch and push URLs if you only have the devCon?

> As far as I saw from a quick glimpse at release-manager, I think
> that e.g. for the whole release process the <developerConnection> is
> being used? But then we would fail to do the clean checkout. This
> behaviour is needed because SCMs like SVN cannot checkin once you
> use the <connection> for checking out (e.g. via http).
>
> Please correct me if I misunderstood something, but I think
> <connection> vs <developerConnection> is not necessary compliant to
> read vs write to a SCM. It's more than connection is read-only vs
> developerConnection is read+write, isn't?

Yes, that's correct, and it is limited. I am sure the model needs to
be enriched for dSCMs.

> Btw: the URLs for the various SCMs are similar but not really equal,
> so it doesn't make things worse ;)

I'm not quite sure what you mean here...

- Brett